Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Drugstore Makeup Starter Kit

Hello everyone!

Today I wanted to do a post sharing my best drugstore recommendations for those starting out in makeup. All of my recommendations are from the drugstore so they are very affordable for those that have to stick to a certain budget or those who don't want to spend a lot of money on their makeup, but the products are still really good quality.

Primer: Rimmel Lasting Finish
Primer isn't really a necessity when you're first starting out in makeup, but it is always nice to apply before your foundation. The Rimmel Lasting Finish primer is really moisturising and keeps your makeup from sliding around your face, especially on hotter days. If you don't want to buy a primer then you can use a moisturiser. One of my favourite moisturisers to prime my face with is the Olay 2 in 1 Hydration & Flawless Blur Moisturiser. 

Foundation: Barry M Flawless Matte Finish
I haven't really talked too much about this foundation on my blog but it is a really good drugstore foundation. This is an oil free foundation which is great for those with oily skin. I find that this applies best with a makeup brush, but some people do prefer to apply foundation with their hands. I really think that this foundation is perfect for those who are starting out in makeup as it offers a natural looking medium coverage. The formula is very lightweight and lasts well on the skin for around 5 hours, which is decent for a drugstore foundation. 

Concealer: Rimmel Wake Me Up
This concealer has been one of my firm favourites for a long time now, about 2 or 3 years. I know that a lot of other people would recommend the Collection Lasting Perfection concealer but I honestly prefer this one. It is really creamy and has a great coverage, especially for covering up dark under eye circles. As you can see in the picture, I am in desperate need of a new one as I have almost used up the full tube. 

Powder: NYX HD Finishing Powder 
I have been loving this absolute gem from NYX recently! This finishing powder is very lightweight and gives a flawless finish to the skin. There was a time when I used to swear by and recommend the Rimmel Stay Matte powder, but this is even better!

Blush: Sleek Rose Gold Blush 
I have had this blush from Sleek for a few years now and I still love and use it very regularly. It is a gorgeous rose gold shade (no surprise there!) and has a fair bit of gold glitter running through it. I really like how this blush shimmers when it catches the light. This is definitely not for everyone but I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good blush. 

Contour/Highlight: Barry M Chisel Cheeks Contour Palette 
I have talked about this little contour kit on my blog a few times and I do use it quite regularly. I really love that this palette has everything in it that you need; highlight shade, bronzer and contour shade. I don't necessarily use the highlight shade because I do prefer something with a little more shimmer to it, but you can't go wrong with this kit when you're first starting out in makeup. The bronzer warms up the skin really nicely without looking too orange and the darker cool toned shade can be used to create a really nice sharp and defined contour. 


Eyeshadow: MUA Undressed & Spring Break Palettes
When you are starting out in makeup it is far easier to have a good eyeshadow palette with lots of different shades in it, rather then loads of different single shadows. Some of my favourite eyeshadow palettes are from the brand MUA which is sold in most Superdrug's and online too. These palettes are really affordable and they have great pigmentation and lasting power. If you are into neutral shades then the Undressed palette would be a great one to go for, the Spring Break palette is on the neutral side too but it has a few shades in that are a little more colourful. 

Mascara: Rimmel Volume Colourist
Rimmel is a great drugstore brands which do some really good mascaras. I have tried quite a few of their mascaras but my favourite so far is the Volume Colourist. I wear this mascara almost every day, and it is fairly new to the UK. It gives lots of length to the lashes without looking clumpy. If you have lighter lashes then this will also tint them over time, which is an added bonus! 

Brows: NYX Tinted Brow Mascara
I don't fill my eyebrows in using a powder or anything like that, I just prefer to brush them through with some tinted brow mascara. I love the NYX brow mascara as it doesn't make the eyebrows crispy, like some other eyebrow products tend to do, and leaves them looking very natural. 

Lips: Various Brands
This is probably the hardest category to recommend as everybody is into different lip colours and shades. If you are looking for a good liquid lipstick then the NYX Lip Lingerie's and Revlon Ultra HD Matte Liquid Lipsticks are really good. MUA also have a wide range of lipstick shades, and they are a bargain at £1 each!

I hope that you enjoyed this post. Let me know in the comments if you try out any of the products I have recommended:) 


Until next time, 
Emily xo 
 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik